Beginning

Monday February 6, 2017 - the beginning of a new year, the beginning of a new semester and the beginning of Journalism 101.  I'm sitting here in a white square classroom with horrible grass green doors and hospital-like ceiling lamps, watching the rain drops make their way down the big windows overlooking the school courtyard.
Surrounding me are thirty students, possibly just as confused as I am, as to what to write for our first task - the blog.  The monotone sound of keyboard-typing fills the room.  I peak from above my computer screen and scan the room, my eyes falling upon blue, green, pink and white squares of my new classmates' blog designs.  Slowly, my mind wonders off trying to figure out what I want to base my new blog on. Should I focus on one specific theme, or should I continue writing whatever comes to mind?

My major is photography and my background is socialist (I guess).  I have for the past 24 years lived a very diverse life, being greatly exposed to cultures and lifestyles from all corners of the world, and moving to Los Angeles has truly proven to be one of the epicentres of diverse cultures on this planet.  Walking down the streets of Los Angeles' downtown area, the harsh reality of a broken system hits me like a rock.  The streets are flooded with the homeless and the crazy.  Los Angeles has all of three smells: Trash, weed and cheap perfume, which many people seem to use as a substitute for clean clothes. 
The "city of angels" should be renamed the "city of egocentric people"; the city in which no one seems to give a shit what happens to the environment.  The city in which people apparently happily live amongst rats and cockroaches.  Yes, rats and cockroaches, both a regular sight for me, while making my way from the Grand Central Market to the corner of Pershing Square Station to catch a late metro home, with the rest of the hardworking Americans who don't own cars. 
The metro is always an adventure - not always an enjoyable one.  The metro seems old, screeching as it leaves the station.  The smell is not a pleasant one.  On a good day the metro will simply smell of old trapped air - usually though, the stench of piss, vomit and sweat fills the air.  The noise of some shitty gangster rap from some punk's cheap speaker often fills the room, drowning out my own music.  Have Angelinos not heard of headphones? And privacy? 

Then there are the crazy people who have heated debates with imaginary people.  Or themselves.  It's hard to tell.  At first sight it seems funny, but in reality there's nothing funny about the situation at all. The person is sick and should be receiving help, but not here. Not in the city of angels.  Not in the land of the free.  In God's own country.  Here, a mental institution is for the person who can afford it, not the actual sick people on the street with nothing but the dirty rags they are covered in. 

Everywhere I go, I see signs of a broken system.  It maddens me and it saddens me!


It has now been a few days since I wrote my first sentence of this blog.  I am no longer sitting in the white square classroom with the horrible grass green doors- but the rain drops are still making their way down the big windows, now overlooking my apartment's dark yard.
I guess I know what to base my blog on now...



Popular Posts